Netters,

Darrell wrote in reference to the proposition that one reason track is not
popular in the U.S. is because of the use of the metric system in field
events:
        "How many people have to tell you that it is not true before you get
the point?"

Darrell is right.  Using the metric system for field events is not a major
reason why track is not more popular in the U.S.  But, Gary is right that
the average fan in the U.S. should get to hear English measurements.  It
is the way we do it here.  Don't worry about conversions at all just give
both the way it always done.  It won't make track and field one iota
difference in popularity using one or the other because that is simply not
the problem.

Darrell the wrote:
        "Gary called the Brit screwed up because he uses multiple
measurements, but you are advocating field events in imperial
distance, and have no problem have metrics on the track."

He has you there Gary.

Darrell further wrote:
        "The amateur mentality that dominates the minds of track is killing
track.  When people start to see this as a professional entity, a lot of
things will change for the better.  We can get away from thinking the
athletes should be thankful they are on the track,and start
understanding that they have earned every thing they get."

Now this is getting closer to the truth though I sincerely believe that is
has to be taken even further.  In order for Americans to watch track
there must be meaningful TEAM competition.  I have mentioned this
before but until we have head lines like "Bob Kennedy leads the Indiana
Invaders against John Godina and the L.A. Lions."  We are going to be
5th page news.  Team competition would solve almost every problem we
have in T&F today and people would be interested.  My father does not
care about Milrose but give him a local team like the Albany Patroon's
of the CBA and he'll go watch.

I'd like to hear some other comments on team/league competition.  I
have put a great deal of thought into it and would like to share those
ideas.

Good Training

Michael Rohl