Conway wrote:
> Good question .. Maybe it is my lack of knowlege on distance running, but
> don't see many races outside of the 2 mile, 3200 meter range ... I was in
> high school in the 70s so maybe it more in my consciousness, but guys like
> Virgin, Hunt, Hulst, Williams, McChesney seemed to be running a lot more
of
> the 5,000 , 10,000 type races ... Is that true or just a figment of my
> imagination ???

It's definitely true that high schoolers rarely run a track 5K/10K anymore
except for the few states where the 5000m is a regular high school event.  I
don't know how prevalent it used ot be, other than it seems that many of the
best distance runners ran a few of them.  How many of those 5K/10K races
back then were high school only races and how many were open?

It certainly seems true that with the lower weekly mileages that many high
schoolers have been running the past 20 years, the 5K/10K might be less
appealing.

- ed Parrot