Chapa ran his 28:32.7 at the '76 Drake Relays.  He placed third I believe.

Not sure who the Tennessee guy is ... but could it be Pat Davey (Brother
Rice HS, '75)?

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard McCann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 1:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: Re: HS records

>the runner-up at 10k is 28:55.0 by Eric Hulst in 1976.

Hulst's was second to Chapa, and Bill McChessney was third in about 29:06,
all at the US Juniors in Knoxville.  They all were involved in a hot race
the previous year as well in which the winner (who's name escapes me, but
went to Tennessee and  ran well in the NCAA 10k one year) scared Lindgren's
record.  Chapa ran in the 76 US Trials, but only around 30:00 in the heats.

Richard McCann