From: Bob Ramsak
To: Conway Hill ; tf list
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Track and Field web sites

While I can't speak directly to the sites Conway mentioned that apparently
no longer exist, I can share a few insights with regards to my own
experiments with "New" media...

There are probably thousands of track and running websites out there, but
the vast majority are little more than hobbies for their respective
webmasters and editors.  The main problem is that a true revenue-generating
model for web-based magazines, news/updates sites etc. has yet to be
created.  Thus, most of these online ventures are of a highly volunteer
nature, launched with the most energetic well-intentioned motives in mind.
But after awhile, it becomes a job in and of itself.  Just finding and
creating links to meet results, then updating webpages can take several
hours per day.  Volunteers burn out, webmasters burn out or graduate from
college, girlfriends accuse you of interacting more with your computer than
with them, proposed or promised ad revenues don't pan out, correspondents
disappear, etc.

Then there's the "instant gratification" aspect generated by the internet
and WWW over the past decade, which has just spoiled us all rotten.  Before,
diehard TF fans were happy with weekly or twice-monthly editions of Track
Newsletter.  Now, we think it's the end of the world if a meet doesn't give
us real time results, quotes and photos.

Member-only sites, or email newsletters will ultimately probably be the best
sources for instant news.  Race Results Weekly is a great example of a
terrific weekly email update on international road racing.  It's complete,
accurate and timely, with a strong network of dedicated and knowledgable
correspondents throughout the world.  I'm sure there are other similar
examples.  But, yes, you have to pay for this service.  Just as you do for
your subscription to T&FN (as do correspondents), or Golf Digest or for
cyberplayboy.com.  Or for your daily newspaper.

Back to work...

--*MONTHLY SELFISH PLUG ALERT*-- By the way, trackprofile.com is currently
being redesigned and reformatted.  If anyone out there is interested in
contributing info and articles, check out
http://www.trackprofile.com/correspondents.html ... Coming sometime this
week -- interviews with Maurice Greene, Kim Collins and Bruny Surin....

|   Bob Ramsak
|   TRACK PROFILE News Service
|   *Images, Features and Coverage of Track & Field, Soccer and Olympic
Sport