At 09:55 AM 4/12/2001 -0700, t-and-f-digest wrote..
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:54:53 -0400
>From: "Kebba Tolbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: t-and-f: Another View on NCAA Regionals
>
>I'm with you Scott!
>
>I think regionals is a huge, huge mistake. I really feel like the best kids
>in the country are already getting to nationals.
>
>Kebba Tolbert ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>=================

Mr Tolbert misses at least two of the primary reasons for switching to
regionals:
1)  We are choosing the best COMPETITORS not the best time trialers, which
is too often the current situation.  Head to head competition is the only
means of determining this.  I think we fundamentally differ over what
defines the "best" athletes, and the NCAA committee currently agrees with
my viewpoint.

2)  The qualification process should be exciting to fans as well.  It
currently is not.  Regional meets will add four more exciting meets, and
with the inclusion of conference champions as regional qualifiers, those
meets also will take on added meaning.  Fans will now see meaningful
competition in more places in the country.

> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >I would also suggest for all of you
> >gleeful folks to consider getting a ticket to either Mt. SAC, Penn or Drake
> >this year to see what will probably be the last editions of these meets as
> >you currently know them.  I will check in with you next year after the big,
> >established meets take horrific attendance hits from the colleges to see
> >whether you still feel this is helping US track and field.

Athletes generally are not brought to Drake or Penn to qualify for the
NCAAs, (except possibly in the 10k, which continues under the old rules
anyway, which I stated earlier that I endorsed).  They come for the relays,
of which almost none are NCAA events.  At Penn the conditions make
qualifying for the NC's in the 4x1 and 4x4 difficult anyway (try scratch
starts in the heats for one thing!)  Athletes still need topline
competition in April.

As I said earlier, Mt SAC is in a unique position, and Scott needs to
reconsider how he structures the meet.  I would hope he plumbs this list
for ideas, because it is an excellent competition.  However, we can't hold
up reform to maintain the status of one meet.

BTW, we will move from having 3 big meets in April, to four big meets in
May.  Seems to be a net addition.

The regional structure will have an additional benefit.  It will relieve
the pressure to hit qualifying times early in the season and then try to
maintain a peak through May.  I know that requirement hurt me in my senior
year at UCB.  Now all you have to do is be ready in May.  I'm sorry if that
means diminished performances in April, but I'd rather see athletes not
have to overreach as they do now.

Richard McCann