>I'd love to see a variation on golf's U.S. open scenario, where 25% of the USATF nationals >participants come via local and regional qualifiers. It would create more local publicity for the >national meet without affecting the top places very much. More importantly, it would create a >logical and easily publicized set of competition opportunities at the sub-elite level.  >           - >Ed Parrot

The problem with that being the head to head competition in track and field as opposed to golf.  If you let local runners into a meet who wouldn't normally be there, they are most likely going to get beaten handily.  In golf it isn't as easy to see because Johnny Local and Tiger Woods aren't actually teeing off at the exact same time.

Johnny Local would get embarrassed by Mo' Green.

Dan