Very interesting article. Two thoughts occurred to me:

1. In a 200m the starter usually stands 3-4m behind the guy in lane 1, which means that the  inner lanes have a slight advantage over the outer lanes during the start. But a sprinter in the outer lanes has an advantage running the curve over the guys in the inner lanes. So what the starter is doing is actually evening up the odds a little :-).

2. In the 100m, the fastest runners usually draw lanes 3-4-5, so the runners actually at the most disadvantage are the slower sprinters in lanes 6,7 and 8.  The slow guys in lane 1 and 2 get a lucky break. In order to spice things up the fastest athletes should draw the lanes furthest from the starter, and the slowest guys should draw the lanes closest to the starter.