I have been looking at the USATF qualifiers list at
http://www.usatf.org/events/2001/USAOutdoorChampionships/entryStatus.asp and
the following questions and comments come to mind. First of all the lists
seems to be firming up with only three total entries listed as open and three
listed as pending. First question is where is Tom Pappas? Overall we seem to
have at least 5 to 8 WC A qualifiers in the men's field events with the
exception of the Hammer, Javelin and Decathlon. In the Javelin Pukstys and
Greer can show up and throw great or poor and they are both on the team, as
the only two with A qualifiers and no one else likely to get one (and it
would take two more A qualifiers to bump one of them off the team no matter
where they finish at nationals). In the Hammer throw Kevin McMahon has the
only A qualifier but needs to win the event to make sure he goes to the World
Championships. If he fails to win he can be bumped by someone with a B
qualifier. In the Decathlon Janvrin and Phil McMullen are the only people
entered with A qualifiers. Hopefully someone will step up and all three of
the top finishers will have qualifiers when the meet is over. On that note it
seems that last couple years has seen a definite decrease in the depth of the
US Decathlon talent. A look at the third place score and the number of people
over 8000 points for the last few years looks like this

Year     3rd Place score   # over 8000

2000        8057                         3
1999        7938                         2
1998        8123                         5
1997        8268                         7
1996        8546                         9
1995        8257                         7
1994        8287                         6
1993        8057                         6
1992        8163                         5

Anyone have a theory about why this is?

My final point is a specific qualifying question in the Pole Vault. The rules
state that athletes within 1 cm of the qualifying standard can enter  and can
be accepted if less that 16 people are entered. In the men's pole vault the
standard is 8.65 (18' 6.5) and Pat Manson has a mark of 8.63 (18' 5.5). There
are currently 15 vaulters listed as qualified. By the letter of the law he
would not be allowed in the meet. Do the USATF officials allow themselves any
wiggle room in cases like this? If not I have to question to whole concept of
entry in the meet based solely on your best mark of the year. In the past
four years Manson has placed
2000 - Tie 3
1999 - Tie 2
1998 - 2
1997 - 3

I remember the outcry on behalf of Erik Nedeau when he was not allowed in the
Olympics trials last year when he missed the qualifier by 0.06 seconds. It
seems clear to me that based on past performance Manson is far more deserving
than Nedeau was (not that letting Nedeau in the meet would have been a bad
thing).
Look at his four years prior to 2000
1999 - 8
1998 - x