Forwarded with permission.
Regards,

Martin

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 8:59 PM
Subject: RE: Jason Bunston

Ryan is not competing as far as I can tell...I am sure he is on the track list and may answer or update you.

Actually - I was 3rd in the 5k and second in the 10k the year Godfrey came 2nd and 1st. In that order.

You can see a better record of those events here:

1997 and 1998 were make-or-break years for me, and 1998 was the worst. I had some weird dealings with the Global Athletics and Marketing (GAM) group and there were questions surrounding contract forgeries on their part so I decided to stay in Hamilton Ontario to rebuild and to formulate an extraction procedure for my belongings which at the time remained in Arkansas (the return to Canada was not entirely voluntary). I waited about six to seven months for overdue pay and race earnings and that pretty much sunk me. Most of my training funds were out of pocket, and I owed money to boot so it was time to simplify and reorganize my life which was devoted to running at that point. I think the hardest part was having to sell off my NCAA rings to pay back rent I owed to a friend in Fayetteville.

Since then I have managed running stores in Hamilton and Toronto, and I'm now managing the network and IT resources for the Toronto 2008 Olympic Bid (utilizing my real skills), working with the TO-2008.com webmaster. I am also a Team 2008 member and occassionally appear to support the Toronto Olympic Bid in area events and cultural presentations.

I had intended to take this job as a means to return to training but future possibilities (and the crazy workaholic atmosphere here) have contributed to my running delinquency. I have been scrambling to position myself in something lucrative enough to allow me to run and train as I like to so maybe we'll see that happen yet but who knows.

I'm also getting married in August so that might be slight distraction ;)

All the best!

Jason Bunston
Director of Information Services
Toronto Olympic Bid Corporation