Here is the obit for Herm Goffberg from the Centre Daily Times (State
College PA)

http://web.centredaily.com/content/centredaily/2001/08/20/sports_local/psuobit.htm

Herm was a wonderful person and a great friend of athletics at all levels
in our community.  He worked the finish line at Penn State T&F meets as
recently as this spring and was present for the dedication of the new
indoor track in honor of Horace Ashenfelter.

Until his illness got the better of him, Herm was a fixture at the Penn
State track, regularly putting in several miles a day and visiting with
whomever happened to be hanging around while he was warming up or cooling down.

No memorials have been announced as yet, but I would be happy to forward
information to anyone who is interested when it becomes available.

Bill Bahnfleth

At 07:12 PM 8/20/01 -0400, Trey Jackson wrote:
>It was reported today on the local NPR radio that long time volunteer
>assistant at Penn State University and a member of the 1948 Olympic
>team, Herm Goftberg (sp) passed away on Friday.  He had been under
>medical care for the past 10 or years or so for cancer.  Herm was also a
>supporter of the later Barney Ewell, another '48 team member in London,
>and had befriended Barney towards the end of Barney's life.  Herm had
>lived in England for many years and moved back to State College, where
>he participated in local road races and helped with the local youth
>club.
>
>Trey Jackson
>Assistant Coach - Track and Field
>Lebanon Valley College
>Annville, PA

William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor

Department of Architectural Engineering
The Pennsylvania State University
224 Engineering Unit A
University Park, PA 16802-1416  USA

voice: (814)863-2076 / fax: (814)863-4789
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/faculty/bahnfleth.htm