I have found the rudeness reputations of New York and even Paris to be
largely myths.  I found people in both cities to be very polite and helpful
(with one exception of a waitress in a Manhattan coffee shop who treated me
like I was the stupidest person on earth when I asked her for a
clarification on a menu item).

But I have noticed while walking in Manhattan or running in Central Park
that there is definitely a different etiquette in operation: in New York
pedestrians and even runners for some reason avoid eye contact with people
coming the other way.  Out here in San Diego if you were out running and
failed to acknowledge a another runner coming the other way, you would be
regarded as stuck-up.

Kurt Bray