Am I looking at things wrong?  Last night I went to our annual HS coaches rules
meeting.  All Head Track Coaches of Boys and Girls HS and Middle schools and all
starters in the state of Kansas have to attend  the rules meeting and pass a 100
question T or F test with a 90% each year.
  New rules for the year are discussed.  What a year for the Federation rules.
  1.  All Head Coaches are to meet with the referee before the meet so he can ask us
if our athletes will
   a)  display good sportsmanship at all times
   b)  are legally equiped

  2.  Now that the pole vault people got a bigger pit recommended the word is you
going to have to buy a cover that has a "coaches box" painted on it of a different
color for vaulters to aim to land in.  We were told that one rules maker wanted to
make a vault unsuccessful if the vaulter's head and shoulders didn't land in the box.
I realize there is a great safety issue but do those half-pipe and aerial people have
all the same concerns and rules etc.
    Oh and I LOVE this one.  If you go to a meet and the host school doesn't have an
event facility that is safe all the coaches can get together and declare the event
over before it starts.   All the team points will be divided equally between all
competitors except the host school which gets nothing.
     Must have been somebody from New York or New Jersey who push that baby through.
     Besides all this the IAAF Javelin comes on line this year and then out of the
blue they changed the Middle School Girls Shot Put back or down to 6lbs from 4K.
When the discussion turned to what to do with navel rings under uniforms  I about quit
coaching.

phil Weishaar
chapman Kansas 67431