Reasonable results, but Feofanova getting fewer votes (by far!) than Guevara,
who may have beaten everybody but running not terribly impressive 400s, whereas
feofanova was much better qualitatively, shows that a certain American bias
still exists when the panel votes.

"Not terribly impressive"? She went under 50 seven times, including a 49.16! That's only .06 away from making the all-time top ten. And let's not forget that the world record was set by an East German, and half of the top 10 marks were set by Soviet-bloc athletes, and we all know what that means. (Standard disclaimer: No, I'm not implying that non-Commie athletes are pristine. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if any of them are.)

I realize Feofanova's best mark was 2nd all-time, but I think the voters probably still view the PV as an event that still isn't quite as mature as the 400. If anything, it is an anti-women's pole vault bias, and one that at this point is still justified, but probably won't be within five years or less.
--
Lee Nichols
Assistant News Editor