The thing I most remember Paulen for was at the 1980 Olympics. The Moscow crowd around one corner of the stadium was roaring on Konstantin Volkov and jeering Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz.
The officials were cheating too; holding up flags for the Soviet vaulter to judge the wind but not for Kozakiewicz. Paulen, as President of the IAAF, went down to the vaulting area and sat there to make sure that fair play was done to all.
Randall Northam