Here is a quote from another article.

"For his part, Tatem acknowledges that there are difficulties in foretelling the Olympic future, but says there is no proof that women's times will level out. "I should be happy to stake my reputation on the predicted date," he says. "If I'm wrong anyone is welcome to come and question me about the result after the 2156 Olympics.""

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040927/full/040927-9.html

Paul Tucknott wrote:

And why is the article not supposed to be serious?

The article is based on legitimate research by a team led by Dr Tatem from
the Department of Zoology at Oxford University.

I see nothing here saying that this is all in jest!

Paul

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Martin J. Dixon Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 6:17 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [T&F] Questionable statistics?

The article wasn't intended to be serious.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

LS
Numerous newspapers and other media spend hundreds and hundreds of words

this week on the very surprising study that predicts women to run faster then men in some very distant future. It's funny what kind of bulls..t (pardon my Dutch) one can come up with using statistics - isn't there a famous saying something like you have lies, bigger lies and then there are statistics?

Anyway, my personal opinion on this is of course biased, since I am a

member of the 'beleaguered' half of the species... (;-) Therefore, for people interested, I'd like to refer to a small piece my countrywomen Weia Reinboud on the matter. For one, it turns out one can use the same numbers to prove

1. men and women will run equally fast in 2068, or (more likely?)
2. men and women already ran as fast in ... 1791!

I don't fully agree with all the assumptions Weia makes in her analysis

either, but it's as least as believable as the 'official' analysis. (;-)

Regards, Wilmar