At my son's track meet today - indoors at Evanston (Illinois) H.S. - I got to
chat with Willie May, Silver Medalist 110m 1960 Olympics. He's 70ish but still
looks fit enough to clear 10 hurdles in a decent time. Funny thing is, he looks
about the same as when I ran high school in the 1970s.

May retired as the head coach and from teaching. However, Evanston H.S. has two
outstanding sophomores, and I hear he wants to stay on as an assistant to see
these two through their senior year.

While May has spent the last 35-plus years on the North Side of Chicago, those
of us from the other direction know Willie May is a Chicago South Sider. A
trivia note: May graduated from Blue Island (Illinois) Eisenhower H.S., the
same school that produced Wallace Spearmon Sr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_May_(athletics)

P.S. Speaking of aging gracefully, this was my freshman son's first-ever indoor
race. Running the mile - Evanston H.S.'s ID track was never converted to meters
- he ran 5:04, beating my family indoor high school mile debut record of 5:15
set in 1973. My only consolation is that Evanston's track is 10 laps per mile
while I ran on a really tight-turned 11-lap per mile track;)