Hi Tobias,

On Friday 08 June 2007 22:33:54 Tobias Richter wrote:
> hi *,
>
> i just have tried to use my ipw3945 wifi card and was (after same help from
> Sepp - thx!) able to build the kernel module.
>
> but then i run into the next problem: i was able to load the kernel module
> but the ipw3945 daemon (ipw3945d) wasn't finding any intel wifi network card.
> i searched the logs and found the problem in the boot.msg log:
> "ipw3945.ucode" not available.
>
> the problem is that the lib/firmware dir isn't in the from mkinitrd created
> initrd. so i add two lines to the mkinitrd script and now it is working :-)
> see the attached file.

Yes, I know about this problem. However I'm not sure if adding all
firmware into the initrd is really worth it. As most of the firmware
is only needed for drivers not in the initrd.

I think we should do the following:

 - not include w-lan drivers into the initrd (the networking
   drivers are only included for network booting, few people
   if any would want to net-boot via W-LAN)
 - make all the different sub-systems conditional so parts that
   are not needed to boot can be skipped, or for such cases
   the firmware added, like:

mkinitrd -scsi -ide +wlan +firmware

Would build a initrd without scsi and ide drivers, and explictly
include wlan modules and the firmware.

What do you (all) think?

> by the way:
> t2 is great - thank you and keep on this good work :-)

Thanks :-) You are welcome!

  Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  USt-IdNr.: DE251602478