Just to clarify, I meant for the barrier=curb to represent a perimeter, not
an area.  The area would be tagged as grass or shrubs or pavement or rocks
or whatever - in this case I couldn't find an appropriate tag for the area
(if I had I guess I would have used another multipolygon since you can't tag
the same way as a perimeter and an area), so I just used a natural=tree node
in the center (which probably is overkill - I imagined it being used by the
blind in navigating the parking lot but that's probably completely
unrealistic).

I didn't want to use landuse=grass, because that doesn't describe the *use*
of the land.  Although I suppose I compromised with natural=tree - the trees
are by no means a "natural" occurrence.