On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 April 2010 20:40, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Surely these should be tagged golf_course=bunker, or something.
>
> I was hoping for something a little more generic

Suggestions? As is, you can't use surface because that's only for
"roads/footpaths" (although strangely it's also used for
leisure=pitch's - seems the wiki needs updating). And landuse is
perhaps problematic for the reasons I mentioned before (i.e. overlap
with "natural"). Although, landuse=sand would be analogous to the
current use of landuse=grass.

> you can also
> have beach volley ball areas that are no where near beaches

leisure=pitch
+ sport=volleyball (or beach_volleyball, I would suggest)
+ surface=sand (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpitch)

> there is
> also sand in deserts,

I'd suggest natural=desert (+ maybe surface=sand). Strangely abandoned
old proposal: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Deserts

> and sand dunes that aren't desert but aren't
> part of a beach either.

Surely natural=sand_dune