On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 May 2010 11:48, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From wikipedia: "Surveying or land surveying is the technique and
> > science of accurately determining the terrestrial or three-dimensional
> > position of points and the distances and angles between them. These
> > points are usually on the surface of the Earth, and they are often
> > used to establish land maps and boundaries for ownership or
> > governmental purposes."
>
> Exactly, these locations are used to monitor the movement of a
> tectonic plate, atmospheric conditions and potentially drift of GPS
> satellite locations, none of which has anything to do with "used to
> establish land maps and boundaries"

That was quite a selective quote of my quote. The first sentence boils
down to surveying = "determining the position of points". And
monitoring (which is indeed just "determining" on an ongoing basis)
the position of tectonic plates are GPS satellites matches this
definition.

> We'll have to agree to disagree then,

Ok.

> tagging them as just
> another survey marker is a reduction of information to lowest common
> denominator.

There's no need to lose information - just use other additional tags.
How about man_made=survey_point +
survey_point=fancy_tectonic_whatever_thing?