On 15 June 2010 18:46, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/15 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:
>> And since
>> there isn't much difference between a shoulder and a bike lane
>

> there is a huge difference IMO. The presence of a bike lane suggests
> that the road was thought (or later adapted) also for bicycle use, it
> will usually be convenient to enter and leave the bike lane, at
> crossings there might be special solutions for cyclists, ... whereas a
> shoulder is intended mainly for broken cars (at least that's the case
> in central Europe), cyclists and pedestrians might have the right to
> go there but they also might encounter big problems at crossings /
> exit-lanes and so on.

Regardless if cyclists are allowed or not, this would be an access
restriction, and wouldn't generally impact if a motorway should be
tagged as trunk or not. In general I would assume most motorways have
a minimum speed and try to keep high speed cars away from bikes, so
the default would be bicycle=no...