> Better yet - just don't change it.  This sort of change just isn't
> worth the pain and hundreds of developer hours that could be better
> spent on moving the project forward.  Yes - this sort of change might
> make the tag heirachy prettier - but not enough to justify the work.

Garbage.

It's not hundred of hours of developer work to change this.

If the renderer programming is up to scratch then it should be able to
automatically accept changes like this.

One of the programs I have done some development on has this built in.

In the case of amenity=police.

The program scans the icon directory for all icons on start up.

Before rendering it then checks to see if it has a matching icon to
amenity=police.  If it does then it renders that icon, if not then it renders
the parent icon, ie amenity.

If it's changed to emergency=police_station

The renderer does not require any change, the only changes required are moving
the amenity=police icon to be the emergency=police_station icon (which is a 30
second job) and creating an appropriate emergency parent icon (and there's
probably something already there we can use).

The program code to do this is approximately 100 lines of c including white
space and comments.

--
Cheers
Ross