Hi Richard.
Never heard of that, so let me ask to clearify...

On 23.09.2010 00:59, Richard Welty wrote:
 On 9/22/10 6:47 PM, Andrew Harvey wrote:
What happens if tags conflict then? For example just say the boundary
actually had a name, e.g. "X Y Border", but the river also has a
different name.
one of the operative theories here is that in cases of shared ways,
we should be using the higher level relations that contain the ways to
provide the distinction.
Following situation: There are two shops inside the same building and the building is a node only, yet. Let's assume the position of the shops cannot be distinguished - examples can be found in discussions about e.g. post offices together with stationery shops etc.

If I interpret your statement correct, you propose to tag that as follows:
1) the node contains address data (and of course the coordinates)
2) a relation contains the node and the data for the stationery shop
3) a second relation contains the same node and the data for the post office.

If I am right with this interpretation, I come to new questions:
1) What kind of relation should (2) and (3) be?
2) Is that stuff supported by common renderers (interpretation of relations to show "simple" POIs? 3) How can we achieve to support that model in editors, as IMHO editing relations is much harder than editing "simple" geometry objects (nodes/ways), but this model would lead to more need for relations.

Nevertheless I think, it could be a very useful scheme to generally support grouping tags together while differentiating several groups on one geometry object.

regards
Peter