On 5 October 2010 07:55, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Let's start by splitting out static characteristics from dynamic influences
> such traffic and weather. Once the static stuff (lanes, inclines, curviness
> and whatever) is in there, something like TMC information can be used to add
> in the realtime dynamic stuff. A traffic jam following one event is no
> guarantee there will be one for a different event - or indeed that it will
> not be worse. OSM is really only made for static data. Routing/navigation
> programs can choose whatever dynamic data they like.

True, and I agree that trying to map rush hours outside stadiums etc
is not really in OSM's area.

But, in many places, slow traffic on every weekday IS a static fact. I
can take you to a certain road at a certain time every working day and
the traffic will be going an average of 15kph - or slower. Something
you can reproduce at will on an easily definable time range
(Mon-Fri;16:00-1800)  is just as static and important a fact as the
width of the road.  Mind you, I'm not going to be collecting this
stuff much, I make sure I'm never there at those times.

Stephen