2010/10/18 SURLY_ru <p...@isnet.ru>:
>> I agree too to the actual shop=kiosk system, since it refers to what is
>> actually sold at certain places
>> "a little shop selling cigarettes, newspapers, sweets, snacks and beverages"
>
> I strongly disagree.
> "shop=kiosk" is a very strange kind of tag. It says all about design of a
> shop, but says nothing about the goods that sold in the shop.

+1, the thing is in Germany the word is used for a specific kind of
merchandise, but it is not generally valid worldwide. Kiosk is
refering to a building/shop typology: selling out of a window (and
traditionally even more limited: a small one storey solitaire
building, often round or polygonal).

> We (here in Russia) have many different kinds of kiosks. There are kiosks
> selling only ice-cream, selling only fruits, and selling only flowers. There
> are press kiosks, that sell newspapers, magazines, popular pocket-books, city
> maps and some stationary (and sometimes tiny toys). And there are kiosks (they
> fit best to the shop=kiosk tag) selling snacks, cigarettes, sweets, juices and
> beer, but they never sell newspapers; and selling wines and vodka in a kiosk
> is prohibited, so you never find that kind of beverages in a kiosk.

in Italy the situation is similar: there are kiosks selling newspapers
and public transport tickets (and maybe telephone cards/cell phone
sims), or flowers, or snacks and drinks, or books, but they almost
never sell alcohol and tobacco.

> So there is no typical assortment of goods sold in kiosks.

+1

 It would be better
> to tag kiosks as ordinary shop (shop=convenience, shop=news_agent,
> shop=greengrocer or even shop=general) with addition of "building=kiosk".

the building=kiosk is only suitable for the traditional meaning of
kiosks (the solitaires) but not for kiosks that are part of a bigger
building.

> Sometimes "man_made=kiosk" is good variant too. We have many greengrocer
> kiosks that are not buildings. They consist of wooden frame covered with tent
> and have shelves for fruits and window.

IMHO those are buildings in OSM too (and in this particular case not
only in OSM but generally in architecture --- they are simply
light-weight buildings).

While buildings are usually differentiated from non building
structures (some exceptions left aside) as being designed for
continuous human occupancy, we usually don't make this differentiation
and use building for many kind of structures that are not designed for
continuous human occupancy (AFAIK and after long discussions in
Talk-DE that's my conclusion).

cheers,
Martin