On 01/06/2011 06:00 PM, Peter Wendorff wrote:

> What beside of this - I fear, stupid - "certification" is the benefit
> for a hiking map in supporting e.g. maxspeed of motorways as part of the
> OSM core being the decision basis to get the certification?
>
> To make a better example: Garmin AiO for Europe is getting too large for
> many devices currently - so the core definition you propose would
> require to include buildings in the map, no matter of their size and the
> drawbacks of excluding most old devices by including the building layer?

I think it's even impossible to support all OSM tags on a specific map.
When rendering a map or converting the data into a special format (e.g.
Garmin devices) you always have lot of constraints.

For example Garmins don't support an unlimited number of way types. So
you have to map OSM tags to device tags, which is not always a lossless
process.

In addition it's often not even desirable to show everything - many maps
have a special purpose and should only show the things relevant for that
purpose.

I think that map renderers and map makers already do their best to
support as many useful (for their map!) tags as possible and most
mappers do their best to map according to the wiki definition because
they want their work to appear on the maps.

Remember, the goal of OSM is a FREE map, not one with a lot of rules and
restrictions. There are enough restricted maps out there.