2011/3/25 Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>:
> David Paleino wrote:
> Potlatch 2 _already_ has excellent relation support.
> However:
>> My proposal doesn't use anything special to be implemented in editors.
> That's not the point.

Well, somehow it is. He has suggested to use the associatedStreet
-type of relation. If this type is editable with PL2, there won't be
urgent need to change something. associatedStreet is currently used on
~33000 relations so it could be considered "established" (on the other
hand, 33000 is almost nothing compared to all streets we have in the
db).

I must admit that personally I never felt the need to use this
relation type, and I agree with the others that we should try to use
as few relations as possible, because they add complexity and
potentially hinder less experienced mappers from editing.

I also continue to discourage the use of highway=footway for sidewalks
that are just separated by a kerb (or not even separated at all) from
the street.

The tagging proposal of Serge will not allow to enter details about
the sidewalks (one of the reasons for me to add sidewalks would be to
add details about narrower parts, barriers on the sidewalk, sidewalks
with surfaces that are not suitable for wheelchairs, ...) so I won't
be able to use it for the mapping needs that I have.

cheers,
Martin