2011/6/3 Josh Doe <j...@joshdoe.com>:
> I would use highway=steps on the steps, and highway=footway for the
> walk along the water.

Yes, but probably not on the ladder that gives you access to (or from)
the water. I'd tag this on a node (the alternative would be to draw a
way with 2 nodes, set layer-tags to the nodes and move one above the
other which does not really make sense unless you continue somehow on
the lower end with some highway).

What about highway=ladder on a node? There is already 10 uses in taginfo ;-)

An alternative (or addition) could be to tag the water access as POI,
e.g. waterway=entry_point (could maybe also be ambigious and refer to
a point where water leaks in).

cheers,
Martin