On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/18/2011 8:33 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> +1, lanes from the very beginning were to indicate all lanes of the
>> road. Opposed to this was the common practice, not to split an highway
>> because of a short lane for turns (otherwise we would for example have
>> had to split a motorway at every exit which I never saw in the actual
>> data).
>
> So it's down to the old prescriptive vs. descriptive debate then.

The current lanes tag works pretty well for me as a pedestrian, it
tells me how many lanes there is on a road.  I agree that it gives too
little information to be useful for routers etc, but that's because
the generic name. Please write something more descriptive to describe
the problem and how you think it should be solved. These single
sentence responses do not really help.

Btw the current wiki page seems to say that you should count cycle
lanes in the lanes tag, something I don't really agree with.