I think that a space that you rent as an open-air garage on a monthly
basis, cannot be considered an amenity "car parking". If you put these on
the map you are really creating confusion for the map users (= car
drivers).
I would not map these facilities as car parking ( ... and don't have any
better alternative either)

Volker

On 11 January 2012 18:31, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2012/1/11 Erik Johansson <erjo...@gmail.com>:
> >> I tag all parking spaces as amenity=parking, even though you have to
> >> rent a place by the month. I'm guessing this is wrong? But this is how
> >> most people do it.
> >

> > If the parking is not generally accessible, it is nice to add
> > additional tags to it. access=private could be such a tag for your
> > case (actually if the parking is publicly accessible but parking is
> > not allowed if you didn't rent a lot, this common tagging might
> > semantically be wrong).
>
> There is also the fee=* tag. JOSM displays it as a yes/no option in
> the parking preset. There are 20,000 uses of fee=yes and 55,000 uses
> of fee=no in the database. Not all of them are on parking though.
>
> Toby

Volker SCHMIDT
Via Vecchia 18/ter
35127 Padova