2012/1/17 Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>:
> On 1/17/2012 8:10 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
>>
>> I find it useless to map such wide areas as landuses. There's no point
>> in tagging a whole village's area as landuse=residential, and there's
>> no point in making a sixty-km-wide polygon to indicate that between
>> Parma and Reggio Emilia there's cultivated land.
>

> I'm not suggesting either of these. But a single chunk of houses is clearly
> all residential, whether it's the size of a few lots or a huge subdivision.
> Splitting it at roads gives no benefit and complicates editing greatly. This
> is just ridiculous:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18

At all; this is how I would tag it. This is how I tag it, actually:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.301967&lon=8.444596&zoom=18&layers=M

>> As to residential roads, I don't think they are part of the landuse. I
>> agree that "service"s (especially driveways) and "living_street"s are,
>> but a residential road is not a place to live,
>
> Neither is a lawn or swimming pool.

I disagree. If the lawn and the swimming pool are part of a residence
(not at a public park, for example, or not at a sport facility), then
what do you do there? You relax, you spend time there, you "live"
there. On the other hand, you don't "live" in the middle of the road.

>> nor it is meant to be used only by the residents.
>
> So your cutoff would be whether through traffic is allowed?

I have never thought of a rigorous definition; it seems quite evident
to me. Whether through traffic is allowed is something I would
describe with access tags.

For example, there's a footway that connects the two sections of the
complex I live in. This footway would be access=permissive: it's
privately owned and it is supposed to be non-accessible to the general
public, but there are two gates on it and they're open by day, so a
few people actually use it to go from a street to the other. Through
traffic (if pedestrian) is allowed, but I would not take the footway
out of the residential landuse.

The bottom line is: if you would live there, it's landuse=residential.
If it's a road, I think we can agree that you wouldn't want to live
there.

Simone