On 19/02/12 11:56, Werner Hoch wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2012, 22:16 +1100 schrieb Steve Bennett:
The proposal looks pretty sensible to me. I just wish there was a
meaningful process we could follow. Probably what we really want to do
is deprecate any alternative tagging schemes, and direct people to
this one.
As soon as the the proposal gets approved the other relations can be
declared deprecated.

The usage of type=river decreased over the last year as the major
waterway contributors already switched to the type=waterway scheme.

I think an approved proposal would give us enough support to start the
cleanup of the older tagging schemes.

I'd be of course one of the volunteers to unify the taggings.

I do not agree with the whole basis of this thread.

There are no such things as approved tags, tagging is open and people are free to use *any* tags they like.

There are no such things as deprecated tags, tagging is open and people are free to use *any* tags they like.

A vote by a few people is certainly not a justification to begin mass edits or wide spread change of other people's carefully chosen work.

Discuss: certainly, document: yes please, impose your will over thousands over other mappers: no.

Advertise your ideas and encourage acceptance. Show how well it works any why it is better but don't use a phoney voting process ignored by the vast majority as a mandate for action.

If you must deprecate, end voting!
Cheers, Chris

--
Cheers, Chris