Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist@...> writes:
> Am 9. März 2012 16:08 schrieb John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy <at> gmail.com>:
> > In some areas of the country (noticeably the Fens, with their wet
> > soil, I think) there are concreted areas beside farm tracks, that
> > farmers use for storing things on (such as hay bales).  I don't know
> > what these are called, and have generally not mapped them, but they
> > are a noticeable feature of the countryside.  There's an example (with
> > a provisional tag) at:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/154151708
>
> an area with
> surface=concrete
>
> not sure if this qualifies for highway=x area=yes as well. Might be
> worth creating a new tag for it. (man_made?)
John, it seems that you already calls it hard_standing, that I understand is a
word used for hard top surfaces.

I guess Martins suggestion; surface=concrete could be surface=hard_standing as
well.

What is the reason to map it, who will use the information. If it is used for
orientation it would suffice to describe it (a surface of concrete in a
wetland). I fon the other hand there could be people scouring the maps to look
just for a hard_standing toa special use, it could be worth the while to tag
it with that specific use. Maybe agriculture=storage_place or
tourism=hard_standing (for campers).

If you do want to keep the tagging use-neutral but do not want to use the
surface-key alone, Martins suggestion on man_made fits perfectly. There are
several rather precise man_made values already.