Am 11.04.2012 11:35, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
in the case of parallel ways it is impossible to tell whether you can
filter them out or not (there could be a separation or they could be
on different height levels), especially if people are mapping
sidewalks the same as separated footways.

Thats a point - and the differentiation should be really considered in the tagging.

  My main concern is routing,
not rendering. I wouldn't take them into account in routing, because I
feel you would get worse results.
E.g. 100 m South of the spot you posted above:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.865988&mlon=27.651201&zoom=18&layers=M
Imagine you stand there and want to go to the parking on the other
side of the road:

You take very 'short way' examples - to show the point of concern, thats ok.
But these are examples where - I think - no one would even consider to use routing.
On the other hand:
1.
Use 'practicable' examples (far longer ways) and you will see, that many (not all) of these 'problems' fade away, because the routing will use those crossings anyway and lead to the right side before . If there is no sidewalk on the destination side or another adequate footway - it will use your approach anyway ...
2.
A person who can see the situation can see the routing too - and may shorten the route on his own risk. A person who does not .. well, I would not recommend them a shorting anyway ...

Another similar issue is that with these sidewalks people often don't
connect crossing footways to the street, they only connect them to the
sidewalk. There are examples for this also in your area, so
unfortunately simply omitting them won't do the job either, because
you would get gaps near crossings.

A crossing footway over a street with bothside sidewalk must not always be connected to the street - carriageway and sidewalk are considered as different transport route with different usage then.
For routing there is no need to connect them.
For renderer there is no need to consider which is top or bottom - he may choose itself by usage preference. (Distinction of bridge and tunnel presumed.) The signal points or the 'consider a hazard' points may be outside of the crossing point itself. Connections are only needed at points where you can really use a parting transport way (which may be a street without sidewalk).

Third, try to cross these not on the crossing staying alive:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Partyzanski_praspekt_8.jpg/300px-Partyzanski_praspekt_8.jpg
http://kp.ru/f/4/image/26/67/396726.jpg

I'll do next time I visit your town. What should be the problem? You
wait until there is no car coming or all cars stop and then you cross.

Yes - I see, you have _seen_ the point already. ;-)

cheers,
Georg