Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 16:11 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> >
> > Yes, if animals are intended to graze on the grass, if the grass
> will be harvested for use as
> >fodder (what my earlier message termed a hay field), or if sod will
> subsequently be transplanted
> >elsewhere (a sod farm), then the grass is being grown as a crop, and
> >landuse=grass is appropriate.
> >
> Turf is probably a more appropriate word, sod is likely to be pulled
> by
> various filters as it is a minor swear word.
>
> Phil

This is one of the dialect differences between American English and British
English.  In American usage, "sod" means grass plants.  Replanting grass on a
bare section of ground is termed resodding, and facilities that grow grass to
be transplanted, roots, dirt, and all, are termed sod farms.   British speech
sometimes uses the "grass" meaning of sod, from what I read, as in Irishmen
referring to their homeland as "the old sod", as well as the perjorative usage
of sod to mean sodomite.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to