On 2012-09-03 21:05,  Colin Smale wrote :
Should the name=* for a river include the word "River"? Is it "name=Thames" or "name=River Thames"?

According to the wiki [1] we should only use "Thames" in this case. If we consider "River Thames" to be the "full name" we can put that in full_name or official_name.
I think that names should be spelled the way people speak them so that the map reader can speak them too.
"le Wachiboux" (masculine) but "la Semois" and "la Meuse" (feminine).
Although they are different ruisseau, rivière and fleuve, that word is never said in a reference.
Same for towns: "Theux" but "la Calamine" to indicate whether the article must be used.
"Amsterdam" but "Den Haag" ...