> * Andrew Errington <erringt...@gmail.com> [2012-10-24 14:49 +0900]:
>
> I think it's incredibly relevant whether it's included on the sign.  I
> suspect that the vast majority of people who use maps with reference
> numbers on them use those maps for navigation.  I think such people would
> primarily be interested in signed reference numbers, because it's pretty
> hard to navigate by unsigned ones.  Thus, there should be some difference
> in the tagging of signed and unsigned reference numbers.

There has to be room for both. Sometimes the signposts "lie" in the
interests of clarity for navigation by road users. There is also the
"destination" tag set which covers the ref "as signposted", allowing the
ref=* to reflect the actual administrative ID.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:destination

Colin