Peter Hicks wrote:
> I'm part of a group of people who are working to get a richer
> set of metadata attached to the railway network in Great
> Britain, specifically:
> [...]

This is a terrific idea. I've long thought that OSM would be a natural home
for a sort of "Open Quail" and am delighted to see it happening.

One comment:

> I've started using three tags - ref:crs_code, ref:stanox and
> ref:tiploc for locations, and ref:nr_route_code for route codes -
> they're attached to St Albans Abbey station and stations toward
> Watford Junction as an example.

A few principles of OSM tagging:
* KISS
* Reusable is good
* Memorable is good

So ref:timing_point would be more reusable than ref:tiploc, given that (I
presume) other railways have timing points.

But better still: keep it _really_ simple. ref:crs_code should just be ref
on stations (and I believe this is already standard practice).
ref:nr_route_code should just be ref on lines. By analogy, we don't tag
roads with ref:dft_classified_road_network_code.

cheers
Richard