I (would) do this mostly for consistency. I have to admit I never HAD to do
it, most stop signs in Belgium are used for their intended purpose: give
priority to the main road, not inhibit all traffic arriving at an
intersection.

A node on the way approaching a main road is unambiguous enough. One one
the intersection itself is harder to 'interpret'.

Concerning traffic lights it would depend on the size of the intersection.
Traffic lights tend to have an influence on all ways arriving at the
intersection, whereas stop signs make traffic on some ways 'inferior' to
the ways of the main road. So it's not the same situation.

It also depends on the quality of the Bing imagery. It has now become
possible to indicate where highway=give_way applies for many places in
Europe.

Polyglot