2012/11/21 David ``Smith'' <vidthe...@gmail.com>

> Also, the street name in addresses doesn't always match the name of the
> street.  For example, there are houses on Old Walker Road which retain
> Walker Rd addresses.  And the name Lilly Chapel Opossum Run Road is so
> long, the local post office recognizes addresses like 4600 Lilly Chapel
> Opossum Rd.  (Yes, they shortened it by dropping the shortest word. Go
> figure.)  Furthermore, I think addr:street should be written using the
> abbreviation the USPS prefers, which probably isn't the same as the
> unabbreviated street name, and might not be the same as the abbreviation
> used on street signs.

I don't think this is a problem, or rather not a problem OSM should
address. Official names are often longer and more complete than what is
commonly used. No post office in Italy would reject a postcard sent to
"Piazza Cavour" or "Corso Avogadro di Quaregna", even though their official
names would arguably be "Piazza Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour" and "Corso
Amedeo Avogadro di Quaregna".

This is a problem with name=* in general. Nominatim doesn't find corso
Giuseppe Garibaldi if I search for "corso Garibaldi". However, we can't
expect mappers to somehow put in all possible abbreviations of the name - I
certainly wouldn't!

Regards,

Simone