2013/1/1 Svavar Kjarrval <sva...@kjarrval.is>:
> How does one tag buildings which are both commercial and residential?
> There are two main situations I'm thinking of:
> 1) The part which is residential is besides the part which is
> commercial, but they do have the same housenumber. Do I separate the
> commercial part from the residential part and mark each as a separate
> building with the same housenumber?

If it is one building, you should have one object for the building,
including the housenumber (in case the housenumber is valid only for
the building --- if there is some outside space or anxilliary building
with the same housenumber a bigger polygon for the address would be
better IMHO). You could then have different landuses inside this
bigger polygon, or you could say that the polygon used for the
commercial part is sufficient (e.g. tagged as shop=*, craft=*,
office=*, amenity=*, tourism=* or any other tag that indicates a
commercial usage).

> 2) The ground floor is commercial but the residential part is in the
> floors above. The housenumber is the same. Do I mark the building with
> commercial;residential and leave it at that?

what do you intend with "mark the building"? Are you talking about
"landuse" or "building" typology? If it is the latter I'd say that
neither "residential" nor "commercial" are building types with a
desirably level of detail (e.g. a residential building could be an
apartment block, an apartment tower, a detached house, a terraced
house, ... a commercial building could be a supermarket, a high rise
building, a hotel, an office building, a shed, ...)

cheers,
Martin