2013/1/27 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>

> 2013/1/26 François Lacombe <francois.laco...@telecom-bretagne.eu>:
>
> -1, don't share this idea. IMHO a completely different substation
> apperance and size, usage etc. are sufficient arguments to keep
> different main entities (classes) in osm. There is no rule that we
> have to have strictly functional classification, and in the past
> mappers had found it useful to have the classes like this.

History has shown that mappers around the world have been mapping
substations differently, because these two tags are so vague. They have
been mapping power plants with power=station, big substations with
power=sub_station, little substations with power=station.Why? Because a
mapper layman has to know the difference between a high voltage substation,
and a middle/lower voltage substation to map them correctly. That is a
recipe for faults.

If you only have power=sub_station, beginners are much more likely to map
correctly. And if they know more, they can put in a
voltage=high;medium;low. But even if they don't, you can guess which kind
of a station it is. If it has power=sub_station + building=yes, it is
probably a middle or low voltage substation. If the area of the
power=sub_station is bigger than 60m2, then it is probably a high voltage
substation. I think that is much better than to force the mapper layman to
decide.

Janko Mihelić