man_made=water_marker? That's in line with other water related infrastructure,
and the meters are not only used to measure water during flood, but during any
season.

Other option. Some specific types of water infrastructure uses key waterway:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway.

I'm interested in this topic, due to our work on watersheds in Kerala
http://groundtruth.in/2012/11/24/chalakudy-and-river-basin-open-data/

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron