On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is zone ambiguous on a bus_stop ? Or any more ambiguous than "name" ?
> The latter is also used for so many different things.

These are deep semantic philosophy questions :) I'd point out that
renderers can naively render "name" tags and produce something that is
useful to the human consumer, but that's harder to do with PT zone
tags. How important the zones are to the user varies a lot, so they'll
probably only be used by a map product that is specific to that area
anyway. I think. Maybe.

> When you need 2 different zones for metro and regional networks you will
> probably also want to "group" the routes (and other information) that fall
> under each zone system. In that case your keys
> (public_transport_zone:ptv/vline) are also not sufficient.
>
> So you will end up with a relation of type zone in which all the public
> transport stops are grouped.

Sorry, I don't really follow that. Routes are relations. But there
doesn't have to be a relation per zone...I don't think. You could
render something useful simply by using zone properties on each
station and piece of track, for instance.

Steve