On 3/30/13 5:43 PM, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
The question is whether or not these contracts are.  Are they written?  Are
they public?  I have my doubts about both of these.  But let's get some
examples so we can discuss it.
i am researching this. what i am gathering is that some years back (probably
when e911 came into play), management of these moved into the hands of
county wide dispatch organizations and the volunteers don't know much about
how things work these days. when i have a chance to talk to the folks running
dispatch i'll learn more.

You could also see an actual helicopter land there in case of an emergency
>;-)

Surely not every place where a medevac helicopter ever lands is considered
something that should be tagged.  They land in fields, they land on
highways, they land in parking lots.  Which, if any, of these should be
mapped?
the ones that i would argue should be mapped are the ones that are are
designated by the dispatch organization as the standard ones. yes, they
sometimes use fields, highways and parking lots on a pickup basis. those
should not be mapped, as they are usually one time situations.

On the other hand, most of the boundaries we have in OSM are not more
>verifiable than this data.

Not sure which boundaries you're talking about, but the CDPs in the US
probably shouldn't be in OSM.

i agree on CDPs, they aren't actually helping any, just confusing people.
just a place name at the rough center of the hamlets is appropriate, not
a fake border for a non-existent administrative entity.

richard