> Croydon Tramlink is one counter-example, and I'd concede that someone has
done great work in accurately mapping the path of it that I wouldn't want
> to destroy, but it is sadly completely disconnected from the highway
network, and that is what I'd like to address.

As a Croydon mapper myself who has made changes to the tramlink network...
firstly thanks for noticing that it looks OK!  It's by no means all my own
work, but I like to think I've done my bit :)   There's actually only one
stretch which is relevant to this debate: the Addiscombe Road section
between East Croydon and Sandilands (I presume it is this section you refer
to when you say "completely disconnected from the highway network"?).  All
the other on-highway parts are only single-track, so are easily represented
by a single way with nodes merged with the highway.

Anyway.  My two cents, for what it's worth:  I am strongly in favour of
mapping highways and railways differently (one way per separated piece of
tarmac for roads; one way per rail for railways).  One form of compromise,
however, could be to treat specifically on-highway rail systems with the
"highway" protocol.  Or, maybe for multi-rail on-highway sections, map them
as separate ways (cf Addiscombe Road tramlink) and use a relation just to
cover these sections?  I realise this is not ideal for cities with a large
proportion of such sections, but long-term it may be a way to maintain
detail whilst limiting complexity (since relations would not be needed for
*every* section, just shared sections).

Cheers,

David Fisher.