Sure, it's pipeline definition.

Surge tank is punctual feature on this pipeline.
I don't see anything dealing with such equipment on this page.

Usually there's no surge tank on oil & gas pipeline since pressure may be
controlled by operator.
Water supply in power plants is different. Pressure & amount of water is
mush more important than anywhere else so surge tanks are needed.

I made a mistake in my first mail : I would use water=sruge_tank on a
man_made=pipeline + type=water way.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com