I found out that in Germany they also map guideposts (Wegzeichen)
similarly to the UK and to what Henning Scholland suggested. They seem
to use them as "trailheads" as well.

I'm not a native speaker, but I think that "guidepost" implies that a
signpost will be found nearby. Where none is found, mapping a
guidepost could be a bit misleading. This is probably the most common
case in our dataset. Moreover, a single guidepost could indicate the
start of multiple trails.

So I think that "trailhead" is an independent idea that sometimes is
marked by a coincident "guidepost". Defining a trailhead tag would
allow representing those unusual cases (no guidepost, or single
guidepost-multiple trails) more easily.

So currently, I think I will recommend to the Brazilian community
importing our hiking POIs like this:
- a name tag with an added prefix as I described before
- a tourism tag, which will initially be tourist=yes and later changed
to tourist=information and information=guidepost (when someone checks
which of them are guideposts)
- trailhead=yes (if this doesn't catch on, we can remove them
automatically later)
- a fixme tag asking for further mapping of the hiking routes (no
objections, and some supporters :D)

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the UK we tend not to have "trailheads".  We do however have a variety of
> guideposts.
>
> The following link provides an example which may be of help in this
> discussion:
>
> http://www.peakandnorthern.org.uk/signposts/about-our-signposts.htm
>
> This is tagged with the following:
>
> information=guidepost
> operator=Peak & Northern Footpaths Society
> ref=1234
> source=survey;gps
> tourism=information
>
> These would generally be mapped as a separate node.
>
> Where the start of a footpath is identified but the route not mapped it has
> been common practice to mark the start of the way and put in a fixme.  This
> is certainly very helpful when seeking to find footpaths that need mapping.
>
> Regards
>
> Dudley
>
>> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 19:47:37 +0200
>> From: pier...@gmail.com
>> To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
>> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Hiking tracks as POIs in Brazil
>

>> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I also think that a trailhead tag is needed.
>> -1
>>
>> > I don't believe that implicitly determining trailheads will work.
>> Why not ? Eventually, enhance the route relation with a specific
>> element/role (e.g. roundtrips).
>>
>> > A trailhead is more than where a trail crosses a road; it's a
>> > significant place to access a trail in the eyes of the hiking community,
>> > typically (but not always) with parking and typically (but not always!)
>> > a sign of some sort.
>>
>> Then map the sign, mark, board or guidepost with the already existing
>> tags.
>>
>> Pieren

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)