The wiki pages for bookmaker, betting, and fishmonger have been added by
me. After adding a couple of such pages, I realized writing proper
documentation is harder than it seems (i definitely agree with the
criticism about these pages), so that's why I decided to start a broader
discussion on this list, before continue working on the documentation. I
will adapt the pages again after this discussion has resulted in some
outcomes.

 In British English seafood generally refers to shellfish. So a seafood
>> shop will be a shop, usually at the seaside, where you buy prawns,
>> mussels, cockles and things that are ready to eat, with vinegar, as you
>> walk along the front. To tag this a fishmonger would be misleading.
>>

> What you write makes sense, but the problem is that who wrote the wiki for
> these shops didn't know about these distinctions, see here
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dseafood  a fishmonger is
> explicitly given as synonym (and btw. it was Harry Wood adding this
> synonym, AFAIK a British fellow)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dfishmonger  shellfish seems
> to be included in the definition and seafood is given as synonym. But this
> page was created just 4 days ago.

In creating shop=fishmonger, I followed the accepted proposal (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/seafood_shop ), and
actual use (from the names of the shops tagged with seafood, one can deduce
that seafood is also used for shops selling sweet water fish). But I agree
that I should perhaps not have used the term 'Discouraged' only because of
the outcome of a vote.

> Also your definitions for bookmaker and betting are appealing (me is
> neither an expert in this kind of business), and again the definition for
> betting like that for betting is 5 days old:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:shop%3Dbetting&action=historyand
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:shop%3Dbookmaker&action=historyand
>  were written by the same person and contain the same text.
>
> There has not been voted about these proposals, so in documenting I could
only follow actual use. Both betting and bookmaker seem to be used for the
same kind of shops:
jxapi.openstreetmap.org/xapi/api/0.6/*[shop=bookmaker]<http://jxapi.openstreetmap.org/xapi/api/0.6/*%5Bshop=bookmaker%5D>
jxapi.openstreetmap.org/xapi/api/0.6/*[shop=betting]<http://jxapi.openstreetmap.org/xapi/api/0.6/*%5Bshop=bookmaker%5D>
In particular, the major chains Ladbrokes, Coral and William Hill seem to
be tagged both ways. I believe that documenting both tags is better than
document no tag at all. Moreover, I believe that I have made clear in both
pages that the difference between both type of shops is not clear. I
understand that Philip sees the two shops as different, and I would welcome
a proposal along that line, but for the moment, it seems that taggers are
not using such a distinction.

-- Matthijs