Hi all,

One of the things I noticed at SOTM was that the Aston campus has two
little wind turbines, perched on top of some of the buildings. They're
quite small, yet the standard OSM style shows them even at zoom level
15, as if they're significant landmarks:

<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.4849&mlon=-1.8899#map=15/52.4849/-1.8899>

The relevant tags on these items are
   generator:source = wind
   power = generator
   power_source = wind

I've no problem with them being rendered, but I'd suggest it'd be
better to show them only at finer zoom levels. However, as far as I
can tell our renderers don't have much choice, because there's no
tagging that distinguishes a tiny building-mounted turbine from a
massive free-standing turbine.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:generator:source%3Dwind
In open areas with wind-farms, the turbines are significant landmarks,
so I can see it makes sense to render them then.

I'm suggesting this is not a problem we can leave for the renderer,
since the renderer doesn't know the turbine's significance - it
doesn't know if the turbine is 5 feet high or 50 feet high. (This
implies that tagging the height could be a solution... might be a bit
tricky to get correct height data though...)

Best
Dan